Monday, October 25, 2010

Write Well: 5 Helpful Tips

1. Read Often. Reading is the key to discovering new ideas and expanding your vocabulary. If reading is boring to you that means your brain is not trained to fully focus on something and you are not letting your imagination run wild. Train your brain to be able to read and force yourself to actually enjoy it. Eventually it will come easy. I might not take my own advice, but still I know reading is imperative to "writing good." See, I should probably read more.

2. Do Not Procrastinate. Once again, this is another piece of advice that I'm ashamed to say I don't take. Unfortunately I started this blog assignment right before class. Maybe I should just turn this into a don't-take-after-me-because-this-is-what-happens approach, because so far I do no follow the first two tips. Nonetheless, procrastinating doesn't make your writing any better, unless you're a writing genius and can write under pressure. But you probably should not try and find out if that applies to you. Do not procrastinate, because you will start a very nasty habbit that is hard to break.

3. Always Use a Dictionary and Thesaurus. Yes, finally a tip I can follow. http://thesaurus.com/ is my favorite website to have open on another tab while writing ANYTHING. In fact, it's open right now and I'm currently using it. Finding words that are not dull and repetitive is paramount. It adds interest and you sound smarter too. But MAKE SURE you also use a dictionary. If your writing becomes too flowery and has a bunch of words that your unsure of the meaning, you're gonna sound like a fool.

4. Create a Space For Writing.  Even if you are just writing from you're laptob, you should still find a place that is comfortable and brain-stimulating. For me, I like to sit on my bed and have itunes open at the same time. I can't work without sounds or distractions. Such as youtube, my roomate's voice gossiping to me about what our friends from home are doing lately on facebook, and the constant vibrate of text messages buzzing in my lap. Yes these are all things I need in my workspace and Yes these are all things happening as I type this out right now. Seems absurd, but you gotta find what works for you. You probably need the complete opposite, but maybe not. Try different things till one works.

5. Start a Blog, whether it's a blog like this one or simply facebook with all of your hundreds of followers...I mean friends. I believe the thrill of having 'status updates' and 'blog posts' and such is because we all internally love expressing ourselves to others in our own way. Whatever it is, start an online place to express yourself. When it comes time to write a more formal piece of writing, it is much easier to encorporate personality and voice in it when needed, due to the many years of practice you will have under your belt.

7 comments:

  1. The thesaurus really does help so much. I use it all the time to help me write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thesauruses. I have never used one. you're blowing my mind right now, both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thesaurus.com is bookmarked on my computer. I use it all the time too. Very very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use thesaurus.com a lot when writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading and it is helpful with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt even think about reading being helpful when i wrote my tips. but i agree it is very helpful and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought blogs were pointless internet junk but now I see that they do help with my writing.

    ReplyDelete