Friday, September 10, 2010

soup

        To me soup is incredible. Its hot. Its brothy. Its creamy. Its chunky. It can be cold too if your into that. Its almost effortless to make, yet at the same time, it takes skill and know-how. There are many different types of soup. And many different variations to each type. Potatoe Soup. French Onion. Chicken Noodle. Split Pea. Tomatoe. Chicken Tortilla. Vegetable. Even Top Ramen. :) And then there are the chowders. Potatoe Chowder. Corn Chowder. Clam Chowder. Crawfish Chowder. Broccoli and Cheese.
     Soups are generally categorized in the above two groups: clear soup and thick soup. Pretty straight forward. Soup is pretty simple. There's not much to it. I do know that the word "soup" was given to us by the French soupe (broth) which comes from Latin suppa (bread soaked in water). Condensed soup was invented in 1897 by a chemist who was working for the Campbell Soup Company. Condensing soup allows soup to be packaged into smaller cans and sold at a low price.
       I think my attraction to soup started a few years ago when I started reading the ingredients on most everything. How is there any correlation? Well I gradually started getting more and more creeped out about anything canned or packaged. First went ravioli, then went the fruit cocktail, then the Campbells soup. It hit me so sudden, and soon I found myself wondering what I SHOULD eat, because soup was a main component of my diet. Then I started appreciating my mothers homemade soups. All around our diet became more fresh foods. No longer will I eat foods that are processed in mass production, then canned and put on a shelf for weeks, then bought, then add on another couple months for the waiting period in the lazy susan. My soup fixation started here. And I will be in the UC everyday for the rest of the year lookin at their soup of the day....
              
 

4 comments:

  1. I love soup too and just reading the list makes me really want to go out and get some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good writing here, Anna. couple things:
    1. watch your spelling. tomatoe, potatoe = tomato, potato
    2. you haven't included any sources like I asked. And surely you did some outside research, right? Unless you have these soup facts memorized, which, as an enthusiast, you very well might.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I've been eating so much soup since I've been here! Its so filling, but you still feel healthy after eating it. Do you have a favorite kind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make different kinds of soup all the time. My favorite is potato soup and I love that each time I make it it is always different. Soup was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete